Legal - Security
Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection Secures Your Data
Effective Date: 05/02/2014
At BHTP.com, the privacy and security of customer data is as important to us as it is to you. Physical safeguards, procedural controls and data access controls protect your data from unauthorized access. We continually monitor our systems to prevent unauthorized attempts at intrusion.
BHTP.com uses strong industry standard SSL encryption, a protocol for transmitting private information via the Internet. SSL uses a private key to encrypt data that is transferred over the SSL connection. This protocol is a standard used by many websites when you submit confidential information, such as credit card numbers and other personal data. SSL creates a secure connection between your browser and our server. Addresses of web pages using an SSL connection start with https: instead of http: and most browsers also display an icon of a closed padlock when you visit a page using SSL.
In addition, the Policyholder Service Center portion of our website is only available to policyholders. It provides a private and secure environment to access policy and account information. To access features of our website such as quotes, policy, and billing information, you will need to use a security-enabled web browser, with 128-bit encryption installed.
Supported Internet Browsers
Our web pages are designed for, and verified with, the latest versions of Google Chrome, Safari, MS Edge, and Firefox. Presentation and layout of our pages is best appreciated using these browsers.
Other things you can do to enhance your security whenever you are online include the following:
- Use an Internet firewall (hardware or software).
- Use current software and operating system versions; get updates and security patches regularly.
- Use anti-virus software and download updates frequently.
- Use your own PC.
- Choose a hard-to-guess password; change your password regularly.
- Use a unique Username/Password, not one you use on other websites.
- Use strong 128-bit encryption available in the latest version of your browser.
- When finished, logoff the website and close your browser.
- For additional security, you can also clear your browser’s cache and temporary Internet files.